Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Twice Removed


Golden Age in the West Loop will be presenting a show opening this Friday titled, Twice Removed.  Curated by Karly Wildenhaus, Twice Removed will feature artwork that was originally designed to be distributed free by artists as part of an art installation or as a piece in a show.  This is work that normally doesn't have a life beyond the original display in a gallery or museum.

I thought this was an interesting concept for an exhibition because I usually pick things like this up from shows, but most of the time the things given away are too banal or unwieldy to take back home.  I've picked up different posters by Felix Gonzalez-Torres at art museums and typically see them discarded outside by visitors who gave up on carrying them, myself included.


I submitted several things from my collection and two got accepted for the show.  This cut text paper piece titled, Over and Over, by Chicago's Sighn was on display at the Next Art Fair in 2010.  It was hand cut with a jigsaw in an edition of 5,000 sheets.


These ribbons were part of a huge wall installation titled, I Wish Your Wish, by Brazilian artist Rivane Neuenschwander at the Carnegie International in Pittsburg.  The artist stated that if you wore one on your wrist until it fell apart then the wish printed on it would come true.  The one I got said, "I Wish My Cat Could Talk".

Twice Removed: A Survey of Take Away Work
at Golden Age
119 N Peoria
2nd floor
Chicago, IL

Opening reception: Friday, January 28, 2011
6 to 9 pm
On view through March 6, 2011

No comments: